Assessments that can be done for children with special needs in Ireland. Here is a brief overview of some of the assessment options available:

  1. HSE Assessments

– Under the HSE, there are two main paths for assessment:

– **Assessment of Need:** This is an assessment under the Disability Act 2005 that looks at the full range of a child’s needs associated with their disability.

– **Primary Care**: This involves assessments carried out through health professionals such as GPs, public health nurses, or health centers.

  1. NEPS – Educational Assessment

– The National Educational Psychological Service (NEPS) provides educational assessments to support students who may be experiencing learning difficulties. These assessments can help identify educational needs and provide recommendations for support.

  1. NCSE – National Council for Special Education

– The NCSE works to ensure that children with special educational needs receive appropriate supports. They may provide guidance on assessments and support services available.


If you have concerns about your child’s development or their ability to keep up at school, seeking an assessment through one of these avenues can help identify any needs and provide access to necessary support services like resource hours, activities, and guidance for parents.

For more specific information or assistance on navigating these assessments and accessing support services for your child, I recommend reaching out to the relevant agencies mentioned above or consulting with professionals in the field of special education and child development.